No remote? No problem! For those times when you can’t find the remote, SmartThings lets you control your Samsung TV with your voice using a smart speaker or smartphone. Just start with “Hey Google”.
Turn the TV on or off
Have you ever fallen asleep whilst watching TV and woken up with no clue where the remote is? With SmartThings, you can turn the TV off by simply saying “Hey Google, turn off the TV”*.
Pause and Play video or music from your favourite TV apps
Perfect for when the doorbell goes or your phone rings. Just say “Hey Google, pause on TV”* and when you’re ready to resume, just say “Hey Google, play on TV”*.
Other things to try
∙ “Hey Google, mute the TV”*
∙ “Hey Google, is the TV on?”*
∙ “Hey Google, run Movie Mode”* (or any other scenes you have created within the SmartThings app)
To get started, add your TV to SmartThings by following these steps in the SmartThings app on your Android or iOS phone or tablet:
1) Hit the ‘+’ icon
2) Highlight ‘By device type’
3) Select ‘TV’
4) Select ‘Samsung’
5) Select ‘TV’ again and follow the on-screen instructions
Then, link your Google Account to SmartThings by following these steps in the Home app
1) Hit the ‘+’ icon
2) Select ‘Set up new device’
3) Select ‘Works with Google’
4) Scroll down to “SmartThings” and select it (or use the search bar to type “SmartThings”)
5) Sign in to SmartThings using your Samsung account (this will auto-complete if you’re already signing in to SmartThings on your device)
6) Authorise Google accessing locations, devices, and scenes from SmartThings
7) Your accounts will link
8) Your devices, locations, and scenes from SmartThings will now show in the Google Home app
9) Say “Hey Google, turn on the TV”*
Haven’t got a SmartThings account yet?
*Requires Samsung Smart TV, SmartThings app and compatible voice assistant. Voice assistant must be set up on SmartThings account.
*Use the name of the TV as it appears in your SmartThings app – you can rename it to make things easier! For example, if your TV is named ‘Living Room TV’ then say “Hey Google, turn off the Living Room TV”.
*Google and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC.
Featured, How To
Sign up for exclusive deals, tips, and news